Monday, February 7, 2011

WE MUST SEE CHRIST

Scripture Meditations from W.F. Bell

How grateful to God I am that I was brought up in church (a fairly large town church), and through this church I first learned of my need of Christ. I was convicted greatly of my sins when just a young boy, which kept me from a lot of wild ways growing up. This is the great grace of God, bestowed upon me sovereignly, in plenteous, undeserved mercy. With David I can truly say, "I will greatly praise the Lord with my mouth; yea, I will praise Him among the multitude" (Psalm 109:30). I could never be ashamed of my precious Savior, and what He has done for a poor sinner like me, and for all believers. I gladly sing, "I'm a poor sinner, and nothing at all, but the Lord Jesus Christ is my All in All."

The question now is, Have you seen Christ by faith? All who "see" Christ "believe on Him," and these only have "everlasting life," with the promise of resurrection glory (John 6:40). It was Ferrell Griswold (1928-1982) who wrote the following, and I can do no better than quote him, which plainly clears up a lot of misunderstanding many people have about salvation:

Salvation is in a Person, and not in a doctrine, church, or the works and will of the flesh (John 1:12-13). Salvation is to know Christ, to be in union with Him, to have His righteousness upon your record, to be seen in Him as complete. "And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness" (Philippians 3:9). "And ye are complete in Him" (Colossians 2:10).

f you have Christ, you have life. "He who has the Son has life" (I John 5:12). If you have missed Christ, you are condemned, for "He that believeth not is condemned already" (John 3:18). To miss saving faith is to miss union with Christ, and to miss union with Christ is to miss spiritual life. Jesus said, "Ye in Me, and I in you" (John 14:20). And if we miss spiritual life we rest under the condemnation of the law of God. "For by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified" (Galatians 2:16).

So, you must see Christ! You must come to Him! You must lay hold upon Him! This you cannot do within yourself. This is His work within you. If you feel now your heart drawn toward Him, this is His work, and not the work of your hard heart. Throw yourself upon the mercy of Christ as a hell-deserving sinner, and if you perish, do so lying at the foot of the cross. Cry out, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner" (Luke 18:13).

Come to Christ only! He said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6). And His promise is, "All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and whoever comes to Me I will by no means cast out" (John 6:37).

No comments: