Saturday, April 2, 2011

DIVINE INVASION--W.F. BELL

(Here is another excellent Scripture Meditation from my friend W.F. Bell.)

In the 1960s the "Baby Boom" generation was "invaded" by the sexual revolution, Beatle mania and the drug culture.  In the sovereign mercy of God, at that same time, the Spirit of grace awakened me to my need of the Lord Jesus Christ, so I began to diligently study God's holy Word while still in High School.  A whole new world dawned upon me, as "Heaven came down, and glory filled my soul."  My life had been divinely "invaded" by the King of heaven, Prince Immanuel.  Grace sought me and caught me in my teenage wildness, and taught me to look to Christ alone.  Very early I learned Joshua 1:8-9, verses which were powerfully impressed upon me: "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein; for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.  Have not I commanded thee?  Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."  Time and time again through the years I have gone back to these verses for assurance of the Lord's mercy and goodness.  His promises never failed Joshua, and they have not failed me.

After over forty years of walking with God, through many ups and downs in life, it is not encouraging when one takes a candid look at the spiritual diagnosis of the modern church (I assure you the "church" has changed since I was young).  We clearly see some sad conditions.  One, our modern churches are not concerned for God's glory, but seem to be content running religious businesses.  Two, most of the preaching we hear today, alas, is not Christ-exalting, but very man-centered.  Thirdly, many religious people seem to be spiritually ignorant, being "at ease in Zion," and seem to have been fully absorbed into our anti-Christ culture.  Are not these things so?  God is still sovereign, however, and therein lies our hope.  "Be not dismayed."

Recently, while reading a detailed account of D-Day, June 6, 1944 (the Allied invasion of Normandy), I was struck deeply by the words of General Eisenhower concerning the invasion, calling it "the fury of an aroused democracy."  How true!  If ever "fury" was released by men upon others, it certainly was in this united effort to conquer the Nazis.  So, relating this to the modern church, if we are ever to experience 

spiritual deliverance and change from the above diagnosis, there must be "a divine invasion" from heaven among us.  We deserve the "fury" of God's wrath!  But what we seek is an "invasion" of mercy and power, which alone will truly set us free from worldly ways and man-centered worship, and bring great glory to our Lord Jesus Christ.  May God humble us all, no matter the cost to us.  Our hope lies not in puny man or his devices, but in King Jesus alone invading our shores.  His "mighty arm" and "right hand" only brings Himself the victory (Psalm 89:13).  So, let us pray, "GIVE us help from trouble; for VAIN is the help of man" (Psalm 108:12).  In other words, let us all pray, "Lord, invade us!  In wrath remember Thy mercy!"

No comments: