Sunday, October 28, 2007

SHORT PRAYERS- AMY CARMICHAEL

"And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief."
(Mark 9:24)
Sometimes we are very much disappointed with ourselves because we cannot pray proper prayers, only little ones that hardly seem to be prayers at all. I have been finding much comfort in the little prayers of the Gospels. They could not be more little.

There was Peter's, "Lord save me." (Matthew 14:30) The poor mother's, "Lord help me." (Matthew 15:25) Sometimes even less, no prayer at all but only the briefest telling of the trouble, "My servant lieth at home sick." (Matthew 8:6) And less than that, a thought, and a touch, "She said within herself, If I may but touch."

Again we hear of just a feeling, "They were troubled." (Matthew 14:26) and a cry, "They cried out for fear" - that was all, but it was enough.

Often in the throng of the day's work and warfare, there will not be time for more than a very little prayer - a thought, a touch, a feeling, a cry - but it is enough; so tender, so near, is the love of our Lord. -- from- Edges of His Ways by Amy Carmichael

No comments: